Special Buildings in Liverpool

Albert_Dock_Liverpool_7Liverpool is an old city, and as such is particularly interesting to the tourists. There are plenty of things to see in Liverpool, but one of the most popular ones are the buildings of special significance which are both old and beautiful. There are a lot of them, but we are just going to mention some of the venues in Liverpool that you can see and get struck by amazement of just how beautiful they are.

Albert Dock Warehouse A

This Warehouse, which has been popularly known as the Atlantic Pavilion can be found at the very end of the Albert Dock’s eastern side, and with its five storeys it stands very tall. It was built with brick and stone, but inside is an iron frame that holds it all together. Iconic iron columns are located on the side of the building facing the dock, and they were built in the now all but forgotten Doric style.

Bank of England Building

This is not the actual seat of the Bank of England, but was actually constructed as one of the three regional branches of it back in the 19th century. It was built in the neoclassical style, with Cockerell’s design. It stands three storeys tall and is seven bays deep. The top floor of the building seems a bit separated from the rest of the building, and has a colonnade of columns on the side facing the street.

Liverpool Cenotaph

This building was actually build as a memorial to the victims of World War I, but later there were some additions in the form of dates of the World War II. The designer of this cenotaph was the famous Lionel Budden, and the cravings were done by Herbert Tyson Smith. A rectangular stone block has bronze statues on the side, which illustrates the soldiers of the war marching away, as well as those that are mourning for them.

Church of St. Agnes and St. Pancras

downloadThis is a church that is still active in the Church of England. This particular church was designed by the famous J.L. Pearson, and according to his idea, the entire Church of St. Agnes and St. Pancras was build from brick, has a stone dressing, and is covered with a tile roof. The first floor of the church has a gallery that has an arcaded balustrade, and also features depictions of angels as well as stained glass.

Albert Dock Traffic Office

This building was built at the Albert Dock himself right after the warehouse buildings were completed. The lower half of the building (the first two storeys) was designed by Philip Hardwick, and the top one by Jesse Hartley. The lower half was build in 1846 and 1847, and the top half was added in the 1848. This building has three storeys, but also has a basement, which can be used as an underground storey. The style of the building has mostly been recognised as Tuscan, which mostly occurs due to the portico and the pediment of the building being built in this style.